Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yes, the Spaghetti Feed was Friday. I remember because I was disappointed it was on a day I couldn't go. Will be in York at a Home Show.
I hope the new one school idea works out for Adams Central. The benefits to both students and teachers at the new state-of-the-art middle school here in Hastings would be wonderful to have available to all those rural students as well. Times and technology change and our children deserve to have the benefits todays world has to offer. As I mentioned at the meeting, from 4th to 7th I attended a one room school - District #2, sometimes called the Airport school. Good memories include the closeness of the kids, all the variety of nationalities we had since the State Hospital was in our district (German, Cuban, Turkish), and the ability to be in plays and presentations at monthly PTA meetings where the entire family attended. I loved the pom pom pull away, the high swings you could pile snow beneath and jump into, the forts we built from sticks and the grass from the yard mowed just before school started, and the many puppies we raised in those forts (animals dumped along the side of the road by owners who didn't want them any more.) From an educational standpoint, except for one bad teacher my first year, we had some really good teachers. But if your one teacher was deficient in any subject you simply fell behind. When I went back to Hastings Public in the 9th grade my music skills would have been nil if I hadn't been taking piano lessons. Our library was a walk-in closet with shelves on both sides where kids were sent to sit on the one chair (all there was room for) to discipline them. There were 3 in my class and it was the biggest grade! Yes, competition and interaction with others was limited. The one poor teacher we had was not there one day when we were let off for school. We kids had a grand old time at first but after about 1 1/2 hours of being alone decided we should call some of the school board parents and let them know we had no teacher. She was fired directly after that but I lost a lot under her poor instruction that year. I have two fond memories of her. One was the day she chased Bruce Latta outdoors with a heavy yardstick and came back in alone, dishevelled, and with a broken yardstick. (Bruce who was one of my 2 classmates was an imp and enjoyed giving her the dickens. My other memory was the day she came screaming out of that closet we called a library. We discovered she had found our missing garter snake peeking up from behind the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment