Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday Meeting, February 11

We had a very good meeting today, as we always do. Mike Howie won the weekly Atta-Kiwanian drawing and gets a free meal next Thursday. I have heard from several people that Mike worked very hard on the dictionary project and therefore deserved to be recognized.

Know Your Kiwanian has reappeared. This week Ron Veburg was recognized. Congratulations to Ron and thanks to Les Harms for uncovering all that information about Ron!

Don Siffring was the Kiwanian of the Day. He introduced our speakers, Ron Seymour and Jo Seilor from the Highland Memorial Arboreteum project. Jo gave us a history of Highland Park and Ron explained the project. I think everyone present has a clearer understanding of the reason we are helping to plant the trees. The project began in 2007; by this spring we will begin to see some results. Look for flowering trees!

Mike Johnson stood in for Don Goodrich and Darla Bruna played the piano for our musical portion of the show.

We have a new waitress and a new tip jar, so be generous and leave her a tip each week.

It is time for pancakes and it is VERY IMPORTANT for every single Kiwanian to do his or her part in ticket sales. If you are not a salesman--I confess that I am not--please buy the tickets yourself and give the money to Kiwanis and the tickets to friends, family or employees.

Thanks to Dave for setting up this blog. One of the break-out sessions at the Mid-Year Conference talked about having a Kiwanis blog. Even if only a few members use it, the facilitator urged us to try it out to serve the needs of those member who like this means of communication. So we will see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words on the Dictionary Project! I didn't look at the Atta-Kiwanian sheet until I got home, and when I did I noticed that it was actually for Don Siffering.

    I nominated Don for his help with the project and because he delivered dictionaries to third graders at one of the local schools. It looks like I owe Don lunch next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless if you forfeit your free lunch, I think you deserve the accolades also for your work with the Dictionary Project. It is impressive to see Kiwanis Newbees (any Kiwanian joining the club after myself) taking the reigns on a major project. I like also that you engaged others in the club to help you out. Sometimes this is a daunting task. Very impressive work Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Mike. You not only did a great job on that project but you also got us publicity. Publicity is always a great thing for us. Kudoes!!

    ReplyDelete