Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Youth In Harmony

I mentioned the other day that I wanted to go to the Youth in Harmony concert Monday night at the French Chapel. Well, I went and it was wonderful. The chapel holds 500 and there weren't too many empty seats. Several of our Kiwanians are members of the Chorus of the Plains (that's how I first got interested in their music) and Chorus of the Plains helped sponsor the Youth in Harmony clinc. (Don Goodrich sold me tickets to the Chorus of the Plains' annual concert a few years ago and I have been hooked ever since.) Don G., Darrell N., LiVila, and Don J. were all in attendance. The full chorus (almost 100 high school boys) sang first, then a few smaller groups, and then Back in Business--a barbershop quartet of men way younger than me. So barbershop is not only for geezers! BIB is from Lawrence Kansas and I guess they had worked with the boys at the clinic that day, because the kids really seemed to like them.

So, you can see that Kiwanis leads you in directions you never dreamed of. Four years ago I would have laughed at the idea of going out of my way to listen to barbershop and now look at me! Not only have I attended multiple bbshop events, but I have really enjoyed them.

1 comment:

  1. I was so disappointed that I missed the concert Monday evening! I didn't write myself a reminder note, and forgot all about it until Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete