Monday, March 22, 2010

Pancake Day Thoughts

Another Pancake Day has come and gone. All I did was sit at the admissions table from 7 am to 3 pm, but from that vantage point, things appeared to be running smoothly. Thanks to whoever decided to move the drinks table close to me--it gave me more people to talk to, instead of just the person sitting next to me.

I saw a lot of Kiwanians who worked a few hours and a few Kiwanians who worked a LOT of hours. I asked Margaret if she was going to take Friday off from work, but she said no--she took Wednesday and Thursday off, but planned on working at her job on Friday. Wow.

It would be fun for me to be more in the middle of the cooking action, but then I have a vision of myself falling onto a grill, or into the pancake batter and I realize I am better off on my chair for the duration of the event.

I enjoyed visiting at length with Maureen, who is actually my best friend, Doc, Ed, Clyde and Jeannette DeWalt (sorry if I misspelled your name. One "n" or two ns"? Capital W or lower case w?). There were others who popped in and out of my area, too. I never had spoken to Clyde and Jeannette before, so it was fun getting to know them.

It was hard to recognize Dwayne Strasheim in his baseball cap.

I thought it was wonderful for KHAS TV to cover the event. I imagine Drew had a hand in that. Drew provided the Most Amusing Moment for me that day, when he asked us that morning for MORE tickets to sell.

I hope the sales were successful. I left before the big supper rush--I heard the last pancake was served at 7 pm. I am looking forward to hearing a preliminary report at Thursday's meeting.

I am betting that we didn't get 100% participation from all Kiwanians, and that all members did not sell all their tickets; I hope you did your best, though. It is a fun event, so if you couldn't make it this year, please plan to attend next year.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the drink table at its new location also. I think it relieved congestion and helped move the line a little faster.

    Thanks to Dave and Karen for the signs labeling everything and showing that there was free refills on the orange drink, all you can eat on the pancakes, etc. Maybe next year we need one at the head of the line asking people to take a plate WITH PANCAKES instead of an empty plate! As the line reached the table, people were picking up empty plates, and our pancake flippers are not quite good enough to toss the pancakes that far! (Maybe they could if they tried, but it probably wouldn't be a pretty sight!)

    We had two of the best dressed pancake flippers in town for the evening shift--people commented on Greg and Chuck in their neckties! The experienced crew cooking those pancakes kept the line moving pretty steadily until the last person was fed at 7:00. Good job, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Jim has a flipping challenge for next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked the move of the drink table. It really did help move the line much better. There were several times last year that the line was stopped in front of the grills and people had pancakes in hand getting cold while waiting to move on. This year, at least in the evening, the line was waiting for the flip masters, but not for very long. I don't believe anyone sat down with cold cakes this year. I will be anxious for a report from Margaret and her committee, as to the public comments on our pancake quality this year. She had mentioned that last year there were comments about cold and chewy pancakes. I was concerned that maybe we were holding thngs up at the grills and thinking maybe we needed a fourth grill. Looking out on the floor though, most of the tables were full. I think we were running about at capacity. The fourth grill would probably just cause people to be standing waiting on seats to open up, which would bring a return of the dreaded cold, chewy cakes.

    Thank you to everyone who helped, a lot or a little, to make this (in appearance anyway, anxious to hear the final results) a very successful Pancake Day. A big thank you also, to Margaret and her committee for the many hours of preparation that makes this event run like clock work!

    ReplyDelete